Veteran Services

Beginning March 5, all Veterans exposed to toxins and other hazards during military service, at home or abroad, will be eligible for VA health care.  Learn more in the VA News Release

Program Guidelines 

Since February 1, 2022, the Department of Community Health has a County Veteran Service Officer who administers the Veterans Assistance Program and provides assistance to veterans and their families with applying for veterans’ benefits, programs and services. If you are a Walla Walla County veteran, we can provide temporary emergency financial assistance for basic needs like rent, utility payments or transportation. We can also help you navigate and apply for all VA benefits and locate available resources in Walla Walla County.  

About Funds and Services

In accordance with RCW 73.08.010 the county is required to establish a Veterans’ Assistance Program to address the needs of local indigent veterans and their families.

Here in Walla Walla County, this fund and programs are overseen by the Department of Community Health. Annually the fund brings in about $85,000 to $94,000. The revenue into this fund comes from local property taxes, you see this on your tax statement as SSF (Soldiers and Sailors). For more information on how the fund is overseen, go to our Veterans’ Relief Advisory Board page.

Make the Connection

Make the Connection connects Veterans, their families and friends, and other supporters to mental health information and hundreds of videos of Veterans sharing their inspiring stories of recovery. The site is free to use and accessible to everyone. 


Wendy Cheng
County Veteran Service Officer
(509) 524-2936